Late last night, everyone was in bed, and I was [working] on the computer. Suddenly I heard a terrible screeeeeeeech and then a terrific bang/clash. A car accident. And close by.

Car accident, March 2009
The car ended up perpendicular to the road, neatly wedged in a stand of small trees.

I quickly grabbed the dog (for protection) and the flip (my new motto is: never go anywhere without a recording device) and walked up the end of the street. I met up with a neighbour from two doors up the street who was also coming out to investigate the accident.

We walked up the top of our street to the main road and turned to walk to the sharp turn where so many accidents have happened over the last ten years. Very soon we met a young man staggering towards us. It was easy to guess that he’d been in the accident.

He was very intoxicated (on drugs) and asked if we had a light. My neighbour Michael gave him his lighter, and as the young man lit up, his face was illuminated. His hands were trembling a lot, and we questioned him closely.

“Were you in the accident?” we asked.
“Nah, but I saw it,” he replied.
“I think you were in it,” Michael retorted. “Your lip is bleeding.”
“Oh, that’s from when I got beat up a couple of nights ago,” he said.
“Yeah, right.”

But we let him go. He was very unsteady and even fell down onto his hands and knees, getting up slowly to continue weaving along the footpath.

Michael and I walked around the bend and could see another man on a mobile phone. We approached him, asking if he was okay. He was fine.

Car accident, March 2009
When the car came out of the bushes, it was clear that it was a write-off.

He had been alone in the car, (probably) speeding along the service road when he saw a man very close to the side of the road waving his hands. The driver turned to look and missed the sharp bend. When he looked back at the road, he could see he was heading towards the barrier. He over-corrected and then skid sideways off the side of the road, down an embankment and into some small trees.

He hit his head on the window, but because he was wearing his seat belt, he stayed in the car and had no injuries. If he hadn’t been wearing his belt, he would have gone through the windscreen.

The drivers’ friends came, he called his insurance company, and we were soon joined by one ambulance, two tow trucks and one fire truck. It was very difficult to see the car because of the scrub.

After the car was on the put onto the tow truck, Michael and I headed back to our respective houses. It was past midnight when I got home. Very late, but exciting too, especially as no one was hurt.