Our drive from the Mount Moffat section to the Carnarvon Gorge section of the Carnarvon National Park was a slow, laborious trip. We headed out on dirt roads where I averaged a speed of about 40kmh until hitting bitumen road 60km out of Injune.

Old refrigerator mailbox, November 2010
Many of the cattle properties have ancient refrigerators serving as mailboxes at their turn-offs.

We saw a couple kangaroos on the route, and I saw a couple goannas running across the road. The road was very rough, and the truck Injune is just a little country town that serves as a base for the cattle ranches around it, but its proximity to the Carnarvon National Park has given it an economic boost. I saw a brand-new information centre in the middle of town, ready to meet and greet all the tourists that stopped at Injune for fuel.

Our main reason for stopping in Injune was to fuel up, and also to buy some more supplies at the little supermarket. We haven’t brought a fridge on this trip and have learned how to make-do without things that need refrigeration. However, in the supermarket we bought some cold items as special treats — yoghurt and cheese. We also bought a loaf of bread — we haven’t been able to plug into power yet, so I haven’t been able to use the breadmaker, and we’ve been eating unleaven tortillas instead.

We camped at a wayside stop off a stock route. Stock routes criss-cross this part of Queensland, and they’re public thoroughfares, so it’s always easy to find somewhere to camp overnight. David made a nice fire, but the rain chased us into the trailer so we didn’t get to enjoy it. That night was still special, we were dry and warm, eating yoghurt and cheese sandwiches while the rain poured down outside. Very exciting!

Camping outside Injune, November 2010
Out camp spot was on a stock route, a public thoroughfare off the main highway.

Heading to Carnarvon Gorge, the countryside gave glimpses of the basalt cliffs that we had climbed at Mount Moffat. The National Park actually crosses the highway, so we passed through some of the protected land before we had to make the turn-off — again onto dirt roads — to the top of the gorge.

On the way, we slowed down and began a safari tour for the girls and David who road up the top of the truck with the top hatches open. We saw an unusual goose, was accosted by a very dominant horse and began to see many, many wallabies and kangaroos.

Horse in the truck, November 2010
This horse put its head completely inside the truck, hoping to pull a treat out of my pocket. It wasn't even startled when it beeped the horn after nibbling on the steering wheel!